Friday 25 January 2008

White men can run

I had a field visit at Camartec today. It's fairly easy to get there: Take a Dala-Dala from Arusha to Tengeru (about 20min), then take another Dala-Dala (about 5km over unpaved, rough roads). Well, as I got off in Tengeru I noticed the Dala-Dala was completely empty (remember, they only leave when they are full). Since I wasn't sure how frequented this route was I decided to walk and hop on the Dala-Dala when it drives by. But after one kilometer I had enough and started running. The darn Dala-Dala never passed me and I got to the Camartec office reasonably early.

My trip was as always planned very well in theory, with C'tec having visited all the sites already to make appointments (something I tried to prevent, as I thought they may tell them what to answer). Well, I didn't need to worry, as they assembled a list on the fly. I actually got to alter it during the trip a bit. My prof had also promised some money for this trip, as they wanted quite a lot. I was really interested in visiting sites that were dormant, to find out why people are not using them anymore. This should help in coming up with strategies for the future. Of course the guy insisted that all their plants are working. But nothing that a little money couldn't fix and so I promised him good cold cash if he suddenly remembers where the non-functioning plants are. That jogged his memory :)


At one plant he pointed out that "in this area we have 20 plants and one or two are not working. The others are fine." And at the same time admitting that he had trouble finding those one or two places as "I haven't been here in 15 years." Hmmm. Follow up is a problem and I'll add this to my thesis...

Leakage was actually a problem, as seen in the picture. But most of those plants had been around for 15 years or more. Actually a pretty good track record. I doubt it is representative, though...

Later in Arusha I went to the market, looking for something my mom had requested. I couldn't find that, but I got a real treat instead. The vendors had most of their stuff on blankets, straight on the ground. They were next to the street. I came across an intersection that was almost deadlocked by four or five cars. I say almost because one guy backed up and was apparently trying to untie the deadlock like the Gordic knot. A loud bang, some honking, angry shouting. Then the 'hit' taxi driver got out to inspect the damage on his vehicle. It's beyond me how he managed to find the "new" dent among the 2,000 old ones and why this one really mattered that much. At the same time another taxi tried to get through and with the space being tight decided to roll over the "stand" of the Mango lady. Fortunately, she spotted the problem and quickly rescued here yummy fruit from becoming unusable juice.

Yesterday was also memorable. Mfinanga didn't show for our 10:00 meeting, so I decided to head to Arusha myself. But he managed to board the same bus eventually, having arrived some 45min later. Phew. Two "wazungu" from Germany also boarded. The woman had been doing an internship for her studies in Morongoro, working in a place for disabled children. She really enjoyed it. Pretty cool. Then we started and all of a sudden voices got louder and an older men and two younger ones were in a pushing and shoving contest. Eventually, the old man got off, fairly angry. But the other two kept wrestling and shouting. The bus finally stopped and while I thought the one guy was trying to prevent the other from getting off (with the aggressive conductors here fighting for customers it wouldn't have surprised me), it was actually the other way round. That dude was holding on to the door so the conductor couldn't open it and throw him out. Eventually, there was some more wrestling and one passenger hitting the conductor, as it got too close for her comfort. The dude was finally thrown off under much laughter from the "audience." It is moments like that when I regret not having taken a full language class.

With all those experiences today I was feeling a bit blue at times. Once, when I checked out of Monjes Guesthouse. After all this was my third stay with them and they all remembered me. Also, later on the way home, when I came by Mt. Meru, for the last time this trip. I had to think back about the great experience I had walking up there and the mountain was as beautiful as ever. A few days ago I was looking forward to coming back, but right now I am not so sure. Things aren't strange anymore as they were in the beginning and I feel like I am blending in pretty well. Now just someone tell those taxi drivers I do not need a car to cross the street...

No comments: