Monday 28 January 2008

Waiting on a sunny day

Sunday, Jan 28

Finally another rainy day here. It was about time. I took the opportunity to go for a run. I had two 'conversations' on the way. The first one I am not really sure what it was all about. Two Massai warriors were trying to tell me something. I think one said something about dala-dala, so they may just have suggested I take the bus. I must have looked rather tired or awkwardly running...

15 minutes later – I was already on my way back – I heard someone say "Good morning." I looked up and saw an old woman, slightly hunched over, on the other side of the road. She asked "Why are you running?" That's a good one! I replied "For exercise." She was laughing at the answer: "Ha Ha Ha." Since we were going opposite directions that was the end of the conversation. But it brought me full circle to the beginning, when I was describing how former professional runner Dieter Baumann had similar experiences in Kenya.

People do things with a purpose here and I enjoy it. I have often tried to do the same in the US and use my bicycle to run (or bike) errands. That saves me from having to go for exercise. I did a tremendous amount of walking while in Africa, but couldn't really run most of the time, as it was too hot during the day. I took buses and taxis only for the absolute minimum necessary. I will have one final taxi ride to the airport ahead of me. For a long time I thought I would either stay in the hotel next to the runway or maybe try to find some private accommodation. But one seemed too expensive and the other too inconvenient. I now found a taxi driver who will give me a ride for 30,000; the minimum, according to a German who had been here for a while. I had to do some negotiating for that one.

And more negotiating today when I bought a football shirt. It's really funny – all the shops seem to be local and single shops. But somehow they are just one gigantic chain, I guess. I went to one shop. They didn't have the shirt, so I walked on to the next. They didn't have it, either, but one guy told me to wait and off he went. Then the guy from the first shop came over also and told me to wait. Next were two other guys that all of a sudden dashed off in two different directions. They came back a couple of minutes later, almost colliding with each other. The next thing was hilarious, as they were fighting for position in front of me (only guys three and four; I never saw one and two come back). They started yelling at each other – not even handing me the shirts, so I could inspect. I told them "Easy" and they calmed down somewhat. I liked the shirt from guy #2 better and asked for the price. "25,000." Oh, the same shirt was offered in the Mzungu store, generally more expensive, for 15,000. Fortunately, I also knew that the shirt sold for 8,000 in Arusha. So I said 8,000. He went down to the 10,000, while another guy now kept yelling 15,000. Hmm, strange; the guy who has the shirt said 10,000 and some other dude tries to convince me to pay 15,000? I repeated "8,000" and the guy shook his head. So I tried to hand it back to him and he wouldn't take it! I finally just hung it over his shoulder and walked away. This usually does the trick when they do want to sell it. And yes, he came after me and said. "Give me money." I double-checked. Yes, 8,000.

In the evening I went to watch the football Africa Cup of Nations on TV again (without wearing the football shirt..). The games are really fun to watch. There is less tactics, much more technical brilliance and sloppy defending than in Euro soccer, which leads to high scoring games. Yesterday Cameroon won 5:1, today Angola clobbered Senegal 3:1. My favourite player is from the Cameroon team. It's not his hairdo, his looks or his skills I notice. But come on, you gotta love a guy called BIKEY!!!

I managed to stay healthy for the three months here, but now in my final days I am apparently getting sick. Not that I have any symptoms like fever or anything. But today I packed! Two days ahead of time. Very suspicious for a last minute guy like me. Of course I am only 75% done, as I still need a quarter of my things. All I know, hoewever, is that it's not normal.

Tomorrow is the last time I will head to KIDT. I bought some cookies and juice and will hopefully be able to demo the biogas, if the system is ready.

The last day. I can't believe it!

No comments: